Old Tailem Bend Town School Museum

Member Informationsch_tailem

First established in 1982, Old Tailem Town is Australia’s largest pioneer village, dedicated to preserving the historical record of the settlers of South Australia from 1860 – 1960. There are over a hundred and ten buildings furnished according to their period and in their most natural location.

Many of the buildings were transported in one piece from their original locations, while others were taken apart plank by plank and rebuilt in Old Tailem Town. Most of the buildings are over one hundred years old and  appear as they were when  first built.

They are all furnished with original artifacts as if they were being lived in a century ago. Shops are stocked with original items, packets and hardware. The emporium is over one hundred and twenty feet long and has four different departments with flying fox, money exchanges and the picture theatre is one hundred years old and houses sixty-five year old working projectors and is fully functional as a theatre with seventy seats. We have a collection of antique speed-boats, dating from 1905, including the worlds first hydroplane.

Location
Approximately 90kms from Adelaide via the South Eastern Freeway 5km north of Tailem Bend.

 Website
http://oldtailemtown.com.au

Phone Number
Phone: (08) 8572 3838
Mobile: 0427 165 930

Hours of Operation
Open from 10am-5pm daily, except Christmas day.

History
Member for 2 years 7 weeks